Social Media In Education: Important Insights
There are numerous ways to use social media to make life in the classroom easier. Social media allows students, teachers, and parents to communicate more smoothly and directly and helps them with innumerable e-learning opportunities. While social media has become a de facto standard for connecting with friends, family, and coaches, students and teachers should exercise caution regarding security and privacy. It is critical to maintaining a professional boundary when using social media for educational purposes. Educational experts from top private schools in Chennai (https://www.internationalvillage.org/) discuss advantages and a few cautions one must practice when depending on social media for educational purposes. Find out more.
Benefits Of Using Social Media In Education
Social media is the preferred medium for interacting with others and building professional networks. Its role in providing a platform for sharing knowledge and establishing professional credibility makes it a thoughtful inclusion in the educational sector.
Social media allows you to be more creative and casual in your school’s presentation and can help you stand out from the competition. Adding social media buttons to your school’s website is a good marketing tactic. Social media can also improve students’ academic performance in certain situations. Here are a few instances where social media can make school education fun and effective.
- Social media can share announcements and host live lectures in the classroom.
- Social media can improve students’ writing skills by creating essays or short-form writing in their blogs.
- Social media marketing can be used in education to reach a larger audience.
- In an emergency, social media can be the best tool to communicate with the campus.
- Social media facilitates communication between students and teachers and allows students to communicate with their friends or tutors for assistance. Teachers can also connect with their students via Facebook live.
- Social media can be used to find information, and students can use it to stay up to date on the latest developments.
- Students can also use social media to find ideas for school projects and practical problem-solving opportunities.
- Social media allows parents to stay involved in their children’s education by following school accounts on
- Twitter and Facebook and communicating with the school via Skype or Facebook Messenger.
- Social media positively affects parents’ communication with schools and students’ academic and personal progress.
- Several studies have found that students are more likely to read online information if it contains eye-catching animations, such as that found on the internet and social media.
- Social media in education offers distance learning, which is a step forward from previous methods.
Social media management tools can monitor and manage multiple accounts across different networks and share the same content across multiple profiles with a single click. Famous schools in Chennai use popular social media management tools to post content to all social media platforms at a go.
Here are some examples of how social media can benefit students in the classroom.
A social media account on any popular social media network such as Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram, or another similar platform will be created for every person over 13.
- Create a Facebook Page to post updates and alerts to your followers.
- Instagram provides students with opportunities to practise digital storytelling in ways that other social media platforms may not match or exceed.
- Creating blog posts provides students with an additional outlet for digital content, which they can then easily link back to their class social media channels.
- Using Pinterest, instructors can organise their lessons into boards for each of their classes to save images that are relevant to the lessons.
Although social media are easier and, above all, fun to use, students must practice caution while using them. Take a note of the cautions mentioned below to make your social media usage safe and secure.
Be On The Lookout For These Social Media Usage Tips
Social media is a great way to share information, but be careful when posting or uploading images. Be cautious and make sure that you follow the following rules when using social media platforms.
- Social media apps allow you to make your profile visible only to friends and family, preventing unauthorised access to your information.
- Be selective in what you share and consider any posting permanent.
- If you want to stay out of trouble, avoid expressing strong opinions and making derogatory remarks about a public figure or a group of people on social media.
- Social media is a wonderful tool for interacting with people you know, but you can also encounter unfriendly connections. Do not over-friend people on social media sites.
- Another mistake that users frequently make is to post their virtual location, which can put their physical safety at risk in the real world.
- Prioritise connecting with people you know, or at least those who are friends with your friends.
- Detect any bogus accounts created in your name occasionally
Social media is an invaluable tool for education, marketing, and communication. Nevertheless, parents and teachers should be aware that if a minor is using social media websites, they must maintain a high level of security. Consider the above points and use social media wisely!